Avenue of Stars in Hong Kong
The Avenue of Stars is a promenade located along the waterfront in Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong. Like the Hollywood Walk of Fame in Hollywood and the Avenue of Stars in London, it honours those who have made great contributions to the local film industry.
The Hong Kong Film Award Board selected the list of 100 celebrities and the avenue reflects the golden age of the Hong Kong's film industry – the city was once called the “Hollywood of the East” in its heyday during the 80s' and 90s’.Read More
- Lantau Island Full-Day Tour
- Morning Island Tour
- Lantau Island & Tian Tan Buddha Full-Day Excursion
- Hong Kong Island Tour
- Hong Kong Disneyland® Park Admission with Transfer
- Half-Day City Tour
- Ocean Park Hong Kong Admission
- sky100 Hong Kong Observation Deck Admission
- Hong Kong Disneyland® Park Admission
- Hop-On Hop-Off Bus Tour
Hong Kong's Avenue of Stars Highlights
The 100 stars represent Hong Kong cinema which started with the first silent feature film made in 1913. The film industry peaked in the 80's when Kung Fu master like Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan came to their stardom.
Action movies from John Woo and Johnnie To brought the Hong Kong film industry to another level of popularity internationally in the 90s' and many movie stars like Jet Li and Zhang ZiYi took part in Hollywood feature films in the last decade. To honour their achievement, the New World Group spent 40 million HKD to build this 440-metre-long promenade in 2004 and donated the property to the government as a public park.
The Avenue of Stars has become one of the most popular tourist spots in Hong Kong. At the entrance there is a 4.5-metre-tall statuette of the Hong Kong Film Award. Each of the 100 plaques has the hand print and autograph of the celebrity it represents. Special lights on the floor make the avenue look like a glittering galaxy and here you can also find a 2.5-metre-tall bronze statue of Bruce Lee. A series of film-related sculptures are ideal to take photos with, using Victoria Harbor as a glamourous background.
The Symphony of Lights show starts at 20:00 every night, in which 44 buildings on both sides of the Victoria Harbour are lit up with a laser multimedia display accompanied by music. Every Saturday night, a stage called “Wholala concert” is open for local talent to perform. There are stores that sell film-related souvenirs and snacks and drinks. Beside the above attractions, the Avenue of Stars is also the best spot to photograph the Hong Kong side of Victoria Harbour. You should visit the Avenue of Stars at night time in order to get the best view of the harbour.
- Tour Available: Lantau Island Tour
Avenue of Stars
It can get quite windy at the harbour so dress up if you visit in wintertime. There are professional photographers that take and print photos of you for a cheap price.
Nearby attractions include: Hong Kong Culture Centre, Hong Kong Space Museum, Hong Kong Museum of Art. You can also dine and shop at Harbour City next to the ferry terminal.
Rate This Place: ( votes)
- Location: The Avenue of Stars is located in an easily accessible section along the Tsim Sha Tsui Promenade next to the southern end of Salisbury Garden.
- Tel: +852 3118 3000
- How to get there: Located at the waterfront of Tsim Sha Tsui, you can reach the Avenue of Stars by multiple bus lines that stop at the end of Nathan Road. If you travel by the MTR, take exit J. As a popular alternative, many choose to take the Cross Harbour Ferry at Central and walk from the Tsim Sha Tsui Ferry terminal.