Tian Tan Buddha (Big Buddha) sits within Po Lin Monastery on Lantau Island. Spanning 34 metres in height, this bronze structure depicts Buddha sitting on a lotus, on top of a 3-level base platform.
It’s visible from just about anywhere in Hong Kong, but you can take a closer look by climbing 268 steps to the top – you’ll also be greeted with spectacular views of Hong Kong Island and neighbouring islands dotting the South China Sea. It can get rather chilly at the summit, so bring a light jacket to keep warm.
- Half-Day City Tour
- Hong Kong Disneyland® Park Admission with Transfer
- Full-Day Macau Tour with Buffet Lunch
- Lantau Island Full-Day Tour
- Lamma Island Cruise
- Ocean Park Admission with Transfer
- City Sightseeing Tour with Victoria Peak Tram Ride
- Hong Kong Island Tour
- Guangzhou Day Trip with Giant Panda Encounter
- Evening Cruise, Dinner at Victoria Peak & Night Market Visit
Interested in this tour? Book it here.
Po Lin Monastery Highlights
Po Lin Monastery has many other interesting things to see, including a lotus pond, several prayer halls, a teahouse, a tea plantation, an orchid garden, and many restaurants (including a vegetarian one run by local monks). A 7-day meditation retreat takes place from the 22nd to the 29th day of the 1st lunar month (February), where you can learn about Buddha’s teachings and participate in meditation practices led by senior monks.
Tian Tan Buddha Hong Kong
- Opening Hours: Daily from 8am to 6pm
- Location: Po Lin Monastery, Ngong Ping Plateau, Lantau Island, Hong Kong
- Tel: +852 2985 5248