Hong Kong Heritage Museum
New Territories Attractions0
Hong Kong Heritage Museum is a museum that combines the culture, art and history of Hong Kong. Even the modern history of Hong Kong is less than 100 years old, the mixture of Chinese and Western culture make it a unique place.
The museum is located in Taiwan, Shatin. It is government funded and managed by the Leisure and Cultural Service Department and was opened in December 2000. There are three other smaller branches of the Heritage Museum in Hong Kong Railway Museum (Tai Po), Sam Tung Uk Museum (Tsuen Wan) and Sheung Yiu Folk Museum.Read More
- Half-Day City Tour
- Hong Kong Disneyland® Park Admission with Transfer
- Full-Day Macau Tour with Buffet Lunch
- Lantau Island Full-Day Tour
- Lamma Island Cruise
- Ocean Park Admission with Transfer
- City Sightseeing Tour with Victoria Peak Tram Ride
- Hong Kong Island Tour
- Guangzhou Day Trip with Giant Panda Encounter
- Evening Cruise, Dinner at Victoria Peak & Night Market Visit
Hong Kong Heritage Museum's Highlights
The Hong Kong Heritage Museum displays a mixture of art, culture and history in a wide range of dynamic and interactive exhibition programs. Six permanent exhibition galleries and six thematic galleries make up the 7,500sqm exhibition areas. It is the biggest museum in Hong Kong and the building uses traditional Chinese courtyard designs.
A 400-seat theatre and educational activities room host different films and lectures weekly. Souvenirs and publications related to current exhibitions are sold in the museum shop. You can find the updated list of exhibitions and lectures on their website.
The six permanent galleries include:
1. Orientation Theatre – It shows a short film about the rich cultural features of Hong Kong
2. Cantonese Opera heritage Hall – An exhibition about the development of Chinese opera in Hong Kong. It has a massive collection of props and memorabilia.
3. New Territories Heritage Hall – An exhibition showing the 6,000-year history of the New Territories. It shows how Hong Kong developed from a farming village to a city with a population of three million.
4. Children’s Discovery Gallery – designed for children from aged 4 to 10. It introduces the natural resource and heritage of Hong Kong. Exhibits include antique toys and the interactive Mai Po gallery.
5. T.T. Tsui Gallery of Chinese Art – an exhibition donated by collector T.T. Tsui.
6. Chao Shao-an Gallery – showing the art from the great Chinese Artist Chao Shao-An.
Hong Kong Heritage Museum
Rate This Place: ( votes)
- Opening Hours: Mon, Wed - Fri 10:00 – 18:00; Sat - Sun and public holidays 10:00 – 19:00
- Remarks: Che Kung Temple is another attraction nearby Hong Kong Heritage Museum
- Address: 1 Man Lam Road, Sha Tin, Hong Kong.
- Tel: +852 2180 8188
- Price Range: Free Admission on Wednesday. Tourist passes include admission fees for all government museums in Hong Kong
- How to get there: Take MTR east rail line to Taiwai station or Ma On Shun line to Che Kung Miu station