The Hong Kong Museum of Art is set to reopen in 2018 following a three-year, HK$930 million renovation. The massive undertaking of refurbishments is set to completely update the prominent venue and allow the latest audio and visual technology to complement the excellent art collections housed here.
Collections range from antique Chinese art, including sculpture, painting and calligraphy, right through to modern pieces from local and international artists. Entrance previously cost HK$10, and it is worth noting that the Hong Kong Museum of Art used to offer free entry every Wednesday.
- Half-Day City Tour
- Hong Kong Disneyland® Park Admission with Transfer
- Full-Day Macau Tour with Buffet Lunch
- Lantau Island Full-Day Tour
- Lamma Island Cruise
- Ocean Park Admission with Transfer
- City Sightseeing Tour with Victoria Peak Tram Ride
- Hong Kong Island Tour
- Guangzhou Day Trip with Giant Panda Encounter
- Evening Cruise, Dinner at Victoria Peak & Night Market Visit
Located on the promenade that runs alongside Victoria Harbour, the exterior of the art gallery looks striking (if not a little dated) thanks to sharp angles and thin white tiles, although this is all due to change following the extensive makeover of Hong Kong Museum of Art. The new and improved art gallery in Hong Kong will feature 10,000 sqm of space, higher ceilings to allow larger pieces of art to be displayed and more space for visiting exhibits.
While the Hong Kong Museum of Art is closed for renovation, many of the thousands of art pieces belonging to the gallery have been temporarily housed in other cultural buildings such as the Heritage Discovery Centre in Kowloon and the Hong Kong Central Library in Causeway Bay.
In the meantime, get your culture fix while in Hong Kong by checking out the excellent Hong Kong Museum of History, which is walking distance away.
Hong Kong Museum of Art
- Opening Hours: 10:00 - 18:00 weekdays; 10:00 - 19:00 weekends (Due to reopen in 2018)
- Address: 10 Salisbury Rd, Kowloon
- Tel: +852 2721 0116