The Hong Kong Museum of History is one of the finest cultural venues in the city and gives visitors a fascinating insight into the city-state, from its cave painting origins when it was settled as long as 400 million years ago, right up to its handover from British to Chinese rule. For HK$10, this museum is incredibly informative and we highly recommend visiting at the beginning of your trip as it will enrich everything you see and experience for the remainder of your time here.
- Half-Day City Tour
- Hong Kong Disneyland® Park Admission with Transfer
- Full-Day Macau Tour with Buffet Lunch
- Lantau Island Full-Day Tour
- Lamma Island Cruise
- Ocean Park Admission with Transfer
- City Sightseeing Tour with Victoria Peak Tram Ride
- Hong Kong Island Tour
- Guangzhou Day Trip with Giant Panda Encounter
- Evening Cruise, Dinner at Victoria Peak & Night Market Visit
There are hundreds, if not thousands of artefacts to see at the Museum of History in Hong Kong. Sections cover everything from the waves of Chinese dynasties and geographical discoveries in the area, to the culture and traditions of Hong Kongese through the ages, the role of Hong Kong in WWII and the invasion of Japan, and the rise of Hong Kong into a financial powerhouse.
The museum was first opened in 1998 after being housed in several other locations previously. Exhibits are enriched with informative descriptions in English and Chinese, while there is an audio guide available for an additional HK$20. Other facilities include a café and a gift shop on site with all manner of souvenirs and books on Hong Kong available in several languages.
Hong Kong Museum of History is located in Kowloon, in between several MTR Stations. You can walk from Tsim Sha Tsui East Station up Chatham Road, southeast from Jordan Station along Austin Road or southwest from Hung Hom Station although it is quite awkward as you pass under several flyovers. The easiest walk is from Tsim Sha Tsui East MTR Station (Exit P2) and takes around 10 minutes.
Hong Kong Museum of History
- Opening Hours: 10:00-18:00 weekdays; 10:00-19:00 weekends and public holidays
- Address: 100 Chatham Road South, Tsim Sha Tsui East, Kowloon
- Tel: +852 2724 9042
- Price Range: HK$10 for adults; HK$5 for concessions (free on Wednesdays)