Hong Kong’s Noonday Gun is longstanding tradition that takes place on the waterfront in Causeway Bay. It started in 1860 during the time of British rule - the exact origin of the daily noonday gun salute is up for debate, but it is claimed that a naval officer, annoyed by a Jardine Matheson official who fired the gun in honour of his boss leaving port (a custom reserved only for naval officers), ordered the company to fire the gun every day at midday from then on as punishment.
As you would expect from the name, the Noonday Gun is fired exactly at 12pm by a guard from Jardine Matheson, and the shot can be heard from miles away. There is a little pomp and ceremony to the event, in keeping with its historic significance. The area remains open for 15 minutes afterwards for visitors to take photos.
- Half-Day City Tour
- Hong Kong Disneyland® Park Admission with Transfer
- Full-Day Macau Tour with Buffet Lunch
- Lantau Island Full-Day Tour
- Lamma Island Cruise
- Ocean Park Admission with Transfer
- City Sightseeing Tour with Victoria Peak Tram Ride
- Hong Kong Island Tour
- Guangzhou Day Trip with Giant Panda Encounter
- Evening Cruise, Dinner at Victoria Peak & Night Market Visit
The entire event doesn’t take much time out of your day, and thankfully it is very close to the shops in Causeway Bay. You can get to the Noonday Gun by walking through Time Square Mall and up Gloucester Road towards the waterfront.
If you intend to take photos, try to arrive at least 20 minutes earlier to get a good vantage point of the firing of the cannon and to give you some time in case you have trouble finding it.
- Opening Hours: Daily at 12pm
- Location: Gloucester Road, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong