Jade market is a jewelry wholesale and retail area in Yau Ma Tei, Hong Kong. It is the biggest outdoor market of its kind in Kowloon. Immensely popular with locals and tourists, this flea market is made up of mobile street vendors who display their wares on tables or in glass cabinets. There are more than 400 booths inside the squat-shaped Jade Market selling different kind of jade pendants, rings, and other jewellery. Of course, the price of items varies dramatically, but the range of products - from kitsch souvenirs through all kinds of bracelets and pendants to high-end ornaments popular with Chinese people – has something for any budget.
Beside jewellery you can find Chinese fans, drawings, swords and similar goods. Even if you have no interest in buying jewellery, a visit to this market is still worthwhile.
- Half-Day City Tour
- Hong Kong Disneyland® Park Admission with Transfer
- Full-Day Macau Tour with Buffet Lunch
- Lantau Island Full-Day Tour
- Lamma Island Cruise
- Ocean Park Admission with Transfer
- City Sightseeing Tour with Victoria Peak Tram Ride
- Hong Kong Island Tour
- Guangzhou Day Trip with Giant Panda Encounter
- Evening Cruise, Dinner at Victoria Peak & Night Market Visit
The entrance of the market is at the junction of Canton Road and Jordan Road. You will find a giant piece of jadestone weighting over three tons next to the maps of the market. Vendors on both side of the street will actively trying to attract you to their booths so there is a lot of shouting and yelling.
Feel free to bargain down the price as the original asking price could be double of what you actually end up paying in the end. You can simply walk away if you don't get the price you want as you are likely to find a similar piece in the next store. You won’t find highest quality jewelry in Jade Street but it is great place to buy cheap gifts and souvenirs.
Jade is a smooth and cooling ornamental stone; the most common colour is greens and lavender. The quality of jade depends on its pureness and intensity of color. You should not find a brown or grey spot in the finished piece. Besides being deep and rich in colour, it should have good translucency and texture. The idea size of jade pendant is around the dimension of a man’s thumbnail. It is easy to unnaturally enhance the colour of jade nowadays, so don’t buy an expensive piece from an unknown vendor. High quality jade from Jewelry stores usually carries a certificate that indicates its grade.
If you keep walking down Jade Street you will find Temple Street, the busiest night market in Hong Kong. Hundreds of carts sell cheap products such as electronic goods, clothing, fake jewelry, souvenirs and even adult toys. Most stalls are open from 14:00 to midnight. Besides shopping, there are many cheap local snack options like dai pai dong. Here, you can also find street opera and fortune-tellers. It is the most ‘local’ tourist spot you will find in Hong Kong.
- Location: Junction of Kansu Street and Battery Street, Yau Ma Tei, Kowloon
- Remarks: Most of the stores are cash only. Bargaining is welcome. Usually vendors on Jade Street understand English but it is better to keep the conversation simple.
- How to get there: By MTR: get off at Yau Ma Tei Station. Take Exit C. Walk along Nathan Road to Kansu Street