This collection of restaurants in Wan Chai will give any other area of Hong Kong run for its money in terms of quality and range of cuisine. There are Michelin-starred stunners if you want something extra special, but also cheap and cheerful local restaurants where you can eat authentic Cantonese food for a pocketful of change.
Many of these restaurants require booking in advance and even then you may have to wait for your table. If you are unaccustomed to dining in Hong Kong it might seem unusual but it’s a part of life in Wan Chai and all over the downtown area. Take a look at our best restaurants in Wan Chai below.
- Half-Day City Tour
- Hong Kong Disneyland® Park Admission with Transfer
- Full-Day Macau Tour with Buffet Lunch
- Lantau Island Full-Day Tour
- Lamma Island Cruise
- Ocean Park Admission with Transfer
- City Sightseeing Tour with Victoria Peak Tram Ride
- Hong Kong Island Tour
- Guangzhou Day Trip with Giant Panda Encounter
- Evening Cruise, Dinner at Victoria Peak & Night Market Visit
Summer Palace at Shangri-La Hong Kong
This classy restaurant has been at the top of the fine dining scene in Hong Kong for years, and with 2 Michelin stars to its name, the quality of Cantonese cuisine at Summer Palace is as good as ever.
The food here is classic Chinese; chef Ip Chi Cheung uses premium ingredients to add depth to dishes, such as chicken stuffed with crabmeat and onion and king prawn with black truffle pesto. Dinner (with wine) costs around HK$500 so it’s certainly not cheap, but Summer Palace is sure to impress.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 11.30am to 3pm and 6pm to 11pm
- Address: Supreme Court Road, Level 5, Pacific Place, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
- Tel: +852 2820 8552
The Pawn is one of the coolest and trendiest spots in Wan Chai. Part bar, part restaurant, and housed in a heritage listed building that used to be an old pawn shop, The Pawn serves creative dishes that often combine the best of east and west.
Your culinary journey can go from the Japanese-inspired tuna tartare with sesame and wasabi, to the Mediterranean flavours of codfish with chorizo and red pepper, or from the lunch menu, there is roasted red snapper followed by steak and ale pie.
- Opening Hours: Sunday–Thursday from midday to 1am, Friday–Saturday from midday to 2am, Sunday from 11.30am to 1am
- Address: 62 Johnston Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
- Tel: +852 2866 3444
Rooftop views and prime Aussie steaks make Wooloomooloo Steakhouse a sure-fire success. The dining room is decked out in leather and dark wood, while the views from the floor-to-ceiling windows can only be topped by taking a digestif out on the terrace bar connected to the dining room.
On weekday lunchtimes, there is a set lunch for around HK$150 while from the a la carte menu, a 12 oz. Black Angus 150-day grain fed ribeye steak costs around HK$390.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 11.45am to 2.30pm and 6pm to 11pm
- Address: The Hennessy 256 Hennessy Road (entrance on 213, Johnston Rd) Wan Chai, Hong Kong
Grand Buffet at Hopewell Centre
Take the journey up to the top floor of the Hopewell Centre on Queen’s Road East for a great value lunch with stunning views from the 62nd floor. A full range of Chinese, Japanese and western dishes are available, including crispy pork belly, deep fried fish, lobster, king prawns, scallops, and sushi. You can add a free-flow wine and champagne package for an additional fee.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 11.30am to 10.30pm (Sunday from 11am to 10pm)
- Location: 62/F, Hopewell Centre, 183 Queen's Rd E, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
- Tel: +852 2506 0888
22 Ships is a tapas bar and restaurant serving European cuisine in a lively, vibrant atmosphere. The Michelin star chef Jason Atherton has been winning plaudits all across town for his growing collection of restaurants, and this bustling venue on trendy Ship Street is constantly packed.
Try the ham, Manchego and truffle toasty or the chorizo braised in red wine. Music is louder than usual for a restaurant but it runs the gamut of restaurant/bar well.
- Opening Hours: Monday–Saturday from midday to 3pm and 6pm to 11pm, Sunday from midday to 2.30pm and 6pm to 10pm
- Location: 22 Ship Street, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
- Tel: + 852 2555 0722
Nicolini’s at Conrad Hotel
Nicolini’s serves sophisticated Italian cuisine in an eighth-floor restaurant with great views to match. The whole experience is joyful thanks to clean, rich Italian cuisine, seamless service and a beautifully decorated dining room. The food here is exceedingly rich and flavoursome, with standout dishes including the beef tartare and lobster rigatoni.
There’s an extensive wine collection at Nicolini’s with some Italian Barolos and other prestigious labels to pair with Australian beef and lamb dishes. The Sunday brunch here is also famed as one of the best in Hong Kong.
- Opening Hours: Monday–Saturday from midday to 3pm and 6.30pm to 10.30pm, Sunday from 11am to 3pm and 6.30pm 10.30pm
- Location: Pacific Place, 88 Queensway, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
- Tel: +852 2822 8801
Cooked Food Centre on Lockhart Road
Cooked food centres are Hong Kong’s version of hawker centres or food courts. They are a ubiquitous presence throughout the city, usually connected to a fresh market; places where the workers (and adventurous visitors) can get big portions at low prices.
It’s a lot of fun just trying to get served as this is as local as you can get with menus in Cantonese and sometimes English. Noodle soup, fried beef in black pepper and deep-fried fish are all popular dishes at cooked food centres and this one on Lockhart Road is on the second floor of the wet market. Meals typically cost less than HK$100.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 7am to 7pm (some restaurants close after lunch)
- Location: 2nd floor of Lockhart Wet Market, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
Coyote Mexican Bar and Grill
Coyote Mexican Bar and Grill serves hearty Tex-Mex food with the bonus of frozen margaritas, lively tunes and friendly, English-speaking staff.
It probably won’t win any awards for its menu, but the food is enjoyable and offers an easy option when you want something other than Asian food. The sizzling fajitas are recommended and the happy hour runs from 3pm to 8pm every day.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 12pm to 2am
- Location: 114-120 Lockhart Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
- Tel: +852 2861 2221
Ham & Sherry
Ultra modish wine and tapas bar Ham & Sherry is fairly tucked away on Ship Street, but well worth the time to find it if you’re looking for something trendy in Wan Chai.
It’s the newest establishment by Michelin-starred Chef Jason Atherton (who also has restaurants ‘22 Ships’ and ‘Aberdeen Street Social’ to his name), and is a sort of restaurant/bar/Spanish taberna crossover. The food is fantastic, but so too is the extensive range of wines, Sherries and signature cocktails.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 12pm to 3pm and 6pm to 11pm (Sundays close at 10pm)
- Location: 1-7 Ship Street, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
- Tel: +852 2555 0628
The Butchers Club Burgers
Due to the number of foreigners living in Hong Kong, you are never too far away from a burger joint, but The Butchers Club Burgers in Wan Chai is surely one of – if not the – best of the lot. Strictly Australian beef is used in their monstrous burgers, which are filled with bacon, cheese and pickles on a soft bun. There is a range of beef, chicken, and lamb, as well as thick cut fries. Burgers start from around HK$100.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 8am to 11pm
- Location: G/F, Rialto Building, 2 Landale Street, Wan Chai
- Tel: +852 2528 2083